What is Compost?
Simply defined, compost is a decomposed organic matter. At Ag Choice we go a step further to create mature compost. Mature compost is a complex organic material that has been transformed into a stable humus by microorganisms.
Ag Choice’s humus compost is thoughtfully and responsibly crafted from high-quality materials, ensuring a diverse mixture of nutrients and microorganisms in the finished product. High-quality compost helps to build healthier roots and support disease suppression.
Decomposition is performed by naturally occurring microorganisms that utilize the organic materials for their food and energy sources.
Compost can enhance a landscape in variety of ways, and is commonly used as a high-quality mulch which is especially effective around new transplants, in the garden and flower beds, as an amendment to potted plants and on lawns, ball fields, and golf courses.
Ag Choice humus compost:
- Protects plants from disease
- Improves root growth
- Improves soil structure
- Improves drought tolerance and water retention
- Increases earthworm and microbial population
- Reduces soil compaction and crusting
Ag Choice’s composting procedures are superior from start to finish, ensuring that any weeds, seeds, and potentially harmful organisms are destroyed.
- Step 1 – Sorting: Carefully screened raw materials* are put into rows following a computer-generated recipe for the optimal balance of carbon to nitrogen.
- Step 2 – Nature at Work: Decomposition takes place when naturally occurring microorganisms like bacteria and fungi stabilize the organic materials for their food and energy sources.
- Step 3 – Turning: Rows are covered and turned regularly depending on the level of maturity.
- Step 4 – Testing until Completion: Readings for temperature, oxygen, carbon dioxide and moisture are tracked. Mature, stable Ag Choice humus compost is ready in 8-10 weeks.
*Raw materials include: fruit and vegetable culls, ground wood waste, bakery and floral waste, loose hay, livestock manure, leaves, nuts and herbs.
Compost is available by the bag, by the yard or by the truckload. Contact us directly for orders over 15 cubic yards or see our list of distributors for a facility near you.